Sunday, September 03, 2006

Keeping on top

I usually wake up in the little rented house I have across Talla Sighera to the sounds of the workmen chipping away at the terrace of the Mernissi house at 7.30 each morning. On Saturday I heard nothing and checking on the house found half the workforce not there. Called Baccali and he had pulled some men away to another project but others just hadnt showed. As work for the day ground to a halt after several weeks sterling work I let my feelings known. The next day there was double the work force and everyone steaming in at a rate of knots and were, including yours truly, happy chappies. Every so often as Ben has told me spend 50dh on getting cold water or Coke for the builders during the day, its very well appreciated.

After a while you can tell who are the star workers and I make a point of requesting them for their skill and diligence. At the moment it is a toothless old builder called Hassan a master of old and new styles who works faster than a speeding scorpion and when he was taken to another job I insisted he come back.

Generally I pop into the house 3 times a day at the moment I am stopped by the electrician at 5pm to give him English lessons after work he cheerfully recited The Soldier by Rupert Brooke to me the other day, you know the one, ....if I should die think only this of me la la la.

We are looking to have the terrace and new build plus zellige done by Ramadan, starts about Sept 24th for a month, then we can bring the workforce into the house out of the scorching heat as obviously they cannot drink during Ramadan during the day. All these things you have to be aware of constantly.
At moment Tourate Fes have several projects underway and i just gave them another, my friend Micheals place just up the road needs some decappage and reconstruction and should be a reasonably straightforward job. Once they get an estimate together and approval I can keep an eye on things there for him.

Just checked on Ryanair new flights Fes to Luton if I book now for November its 99 cents each way but with taxes about 40 euros return still pretty good huh!!!

No comments: