Saturday, September 30, 2006

Ramadam a ding dong

Spent a good couple of weeks in Vejer chilling but getting the house on several agencies books and showed a few people round so should get some interest soon. Lovely cool nights spent with my friends mostly Sina and Pat, checking out new tapas bar at Cafe Central in town and holiday highlight was a 10 piece Cuban band on my last night at the open air Claustro bar fantastic.

Soon i was on the road again Tarifa then Tangiers with quick stop at the beach at Moulay Boussleham before cruising into Fes near sundown. Was determined to see the 10 hectare plot high above Fes before I hit the Medina so drove the ten minutes or so out of town just as the sun set. As I parked to view glorious Fes from the hilltop the siren went to end the fast for Ramadan,about 6.15 each day, and then you could hear the faint wailing from the muezzins in town, it was a magical moment. Within seconds a local guy approached to say I must eat now with his family, a traditional Ramadan hospitality thing, and I got whisked up a hill to sit amongst the whole family eating bowls of Harira soup, sweet cakes and tea. Dispite the fact they only had a smattering of French we all got on fine and after the food all took our chairs outside on the patio hillside to look down on the lights of Fes and watch the planes circling to land.

It was so tranquil compared to the Medina buzz and definitely showed me another side to this whole experience as i left they invited me back Sunday to go shooting, what I dont know, and to show me some land ...yes please.

Left for the Medina knocked out by the genuine hospitable nature picking up a stranger from the road and inviting him in. Onto the Dar, let myself in and wandered round the house in semi dark checking on the work progress since my departure. Its all real good with terrace all bitumened and most of it tiled whilst inside ceilings newly plastered, all structural work completed, newly built bar also on terrace and the kitchen inside started. I am impressed at how far we have come in just two months so we seem on schedule.

Will post some photos tomorrow.

No comments: